The results are in following my first Inside Go Daddy blog post on Project Owners! Project Ownership is a role weâ€™ve coined at Go Daddy, consolidating the Project Manager and Business Analyst roles. The role spawned from my previous work experience, the Scrum Master role, and I found myself always striving to do more with less.
We spent the last quarter gathering data that would indicate whether our resources could wear both the Project Management and Business Analyst hats while managing the current project workload. We used a couple of different tools to gather the necessary data in an effort to prove our hypothesis, which is, yes they can!
First, we created a tool in-house to track where the Project Owners were spending their time. This data told us two things:
- The Project Owner consistently works on three projects per day. These three projects do not necessarily represent all of the projects on their plate, but rather the number of different projects that they worked on during any given day.
- The Project Owner consistently spent approximately 60% of their time doing business analysis tasks and the remaining 40% on project management tasks.
The second tool we used was a Kanban board focusing on the task-level details. Now that we understand where our time is being spent, we want to understand how long it is taking us to complete our Business Analysis tasks, which include requirements modeling, use cases, and wire frames, in conjunction with development and QA collaboration.
The cycle time metric suggests that, on average, across all active projects, it is taking us 13 days to pull the requirements together. These tasks are often happening alongside development design tasks. This tool helped us identify where the bottlenecks are and we believe we can reduce the duration of this process significantly.
With the third tool, we focused on the quality of the projects. The manager of our Project Owners created a survey to be sent to all stakeholders after a project deploys. The initial surveys were based on projects that have deployed and focused on two areas, quality of requirements and communication.
A total of 4 surveys have been sent thus far to a total of 29 members of the project teams (Dev, QA, UX, Product Manager, Marketing, and Communications). Of those, we’ve had 15 responses; so ~52%.
Overall, we are scoring in the 80th percentile in both areas. We obviously want to see a higher score. We are looking at a few key areas to bring this score up, including reducing workloads and instituting peer reviews of documentation and approach. To this end, we have partnered our Project Owners to review each othersâ€™ documentation and project management approaches.
The Project Ownership role is seeing success and also areas for improvement. The key to continued and greater success is, we are gathering data that we can act upon to make improvements. I look forward to next quarterâ€™s data with hopes that we can drive our quality scores up and reduce our analysis cycle times.